Thursday, March 26, 2009
Continuing with the theme of international décor, we thought we'd share some tips on Italian style, both rustic and country.
* Italian country homes typically have whitewashed walls, or you may find warm terra cotta tones selected as accents.
* Textiles and bedding are whites, creams or neutrals and are most often dense cottons which stay cool in warm weather and can be laundered easily (think freshly laundered sheets flapping in warm sunshine ...)
* Generous use of natural woods ... both exposed ancient beams and in massive furniture pieces. Dark wood tones are prevalent.
* Flooring is commonly stone or tiles ... again in shades of terra cotta and reds. With warm Italian weather, cool tile flooring is a balm during those summer seasons.
* Exposed brick and stone is guarded or restored in old Italian country homes, providing an authentic rustic atmosphere.